17 February 2016



Famous deer of Nara, Japan. They really are free to wander most places. You can buy crackers for them and they get pretty intense once they start eating and decide they want the rest of the packet. Accounting for this, the packaging itself was edible. The cute kids being cute are in the grounds of the famous Tōdai-ji in Nara. They are looking for tourists to do their surveys in English.



*

To pray for things
Is to forget love.
To pray for love
Is to win everything.

*

A rather sullen looking statue in Kamakura.


*

Devastating is the animal in me.
Forgetful is the human in me.
Illumining is the divine in me.

*

Alas,
How weak
is my hunger
for surrender.

*

Twice I cared for humanity.
Once when I forgot my self.
Once when I remembered My Lord.

*

Never.
Never is a difficult word.
Never to make a mistake.
Never to always succeed.

*

Small temple, Ueno, Tokyo.


*

Who fortune favours
So often forgets
They are fortunate.

*

In God's Room
I am always perfect.
In man's room
I do not know
Where I am.

*

Many times I have failed.
Many times I have succeeded.

*

This spectacular piece of topiary is in an old cemetery just behind Ueno Park. The amazing grounds were worth a good wander.


*

The coin of life has two sides
And a thin edge.

*

Two truths

Many are my enemies,
Few are my friends.

Few are my enemies,
Many are my friends.

*

No-one reaches
The frontier of the self
Without passing
Through a mind-field.

*


Somewhere in the back streets of Kyoto. Kimonos and mobile phones. Then a statue in a small temple nearby who seems to be wearing a matching bib. I never found the hand-made paper shop I was looking for.


*

The immortality of my words
Is the one true pleasure of ink.

*

The watchword
Of a happy life:
Silence.

*

It is not easy to take a good photo of a big tree -and of a tall tree it is an impossibility- so I am not saying this is that, but this mighty specimen is in the grounds of Hongan-ji in Kyoto. I love how they have placed stilts everywhere so it can just keep spreading.


*

The small hours
Have taught me everything.

*

The church of midnight
Is my house of worship.

*

Upon the walls of night are written
The mysteries of the universe.
Light the candle of the heart
To read them.

*

How do you like them apples? Nishiki Market, Kyoto.

No comments: