24 April 2014

Prose and poems from June 2013

To spend a minute, an hour, a day, a night, a week, a month, a year, all the suns and moons of a life…these things have been spent…and I yearn to spend more, on a story just begun, a story without beginning, a story without end.

You can call it my story, but I will say this story belongs to love. It is a tale of beauty, told of duty and I will tell it again and again until I do not recognise myself.

As a child, just one glimpse of the sun filled my eyes and squeezed everything else out of me. Now I take suns and moons from my pockets and lay them on the table. You can choose one as your own for a time.

I am happy to lend it to you, for it is true all these gifts I have only borrowed from nature. And if I read the signs and wrought a scroll from symbols, it was only to challenge the disguise of seeming strife I borrowed the day I was born into this life.

This poetry gave me comfort and joy in all my darkest and brightest hours.

May it reward you too.

*

To read the words
of the thunder
in the clear sky,
To taste the rain
in the sun’s delight,
This is the pull
and the yearn
of the ever-turning
earth:
By meek signs
is revealed might,
This is the dream
of dignity I offer
to night.

*

I called the bird of midnight love,
Saying, “Rest upon my shoulder
And in your rest, I’ll build a nest
Afore I get one day older.”

*

I took the midnight for
my company true
And the song of the day
I laughingly slew.

*

The midnight takes for company
Who takes the day long
As a well forgotten song
To the flame of tomorrow’s gong.

No comments: