02 December 2012

Summertime

I saw a ladybug yesterday. It was the first day of summer. Today is the second day of summer. Tomorrow will be...you get the picture.

While crickets are keeping me company through the night, cicadas first started to appear around a week ago and now their sound is ubiquitous. I had no idea that they spend around seven years underground before emerging! ABC Science has an excellent article on cicadas.

Nothing compares to the first one I heard on 23 November. Standing under its tree I began to wonder if it was actually an alarm in the nearby building. So loud. Did I not notice them last year? It must have been ideal breeding conditions in 2005, that is why they seem abundant now. You definitely would have seen their dried shells about after moulting.

More newness on Lonsdale St. Last night it was the opening of The Elk and Pea. The current mania for horned decoration is surely distressing to Cervidae everywhere. Of course I was not cool enough for opening night, but I will try it soon.

This morning I did try Sweet Bones in the Lonsdale Street Traders. They have a no tattoos, no service policy, so the person who serves you will have tattoos. My cappuccino was mild and lovely on this Sunday. I had a good cupcake and look forward to trying some savoury food there. I love the garden out the back as there are succulents everywhere. See:


What Lonsdale Street really needs now is a gelataria. That would be perfect. As far as ice cream by the cone, the only place I rate in Civic is Gelatissimo, but it is in the Canberra Centre and closes early. Imagine being able to stroll for a superior gelato at nine in the evening.

Here are two butterflies making love in my yard.


Note the clubbed tips of the antennae.

No comments: