28 October 2011

Bread

This bread is so good.

It is from Tufara Valle and Carmine is doing the cutting. You can see how big the loaves are. It was still hot from the oven when he bought it home.

You can buy Italian wood-oven bread here, but it is still a simulacra, as it lacks the moist fluffiness within to some extent.

The closest I have eaten to it in Australia is in Adelaide when I was a kid. My grandparents used to buy bread from a family on their street who baked it in their own backyard oven.

As this set of grandparents came from Tufara Valle and immigrants often clustered together, it would not surprise me if the bakers were related. One day, we stopped being able to buy the bread, because the family was reported for running an illegal business.




6 comments:

Wojtek said...

Looks like the real deal. Regarding the illegal business of selling bread, I would have thought it could be considered a cottage industry, and not be taxed. If I was running the government I would make home made bread tax-exempt.

Alf said...

You would make such a benevolent ruler.

The people would love you and erect much statuary in your honour. They would commission me to make a mosaic of your beaming countenance. They would also invent a special bread and name it after you.

Following your canonisation, much myth would gather to the tale of your life.

Alf said...

PS This already happened in a past life. Twice.

Wojtek said...

Wow, you seem to have an amazing inner knowledge. By the way, I thought about it and I reckon that governments should encourage such industry, after all the people knead more dough to make more bread.

red corn poppy said...

om nom nom. There used to be a Italian lady in Giralang who baked bread in an oven in her back yard. It was the best bread I have ever had. Her name was Maria. Lets find her.

Alf said...

Does this involve driving around Giralang playing Maria from West Side Story from a speaker attached to the roof?