06 September 2011

Of bicycles, blooms and blossoms

Today was a grey, grey day. Persistent light raininess.

Prior to this, spring appeared to be well and truly establishing itself with many mild sun-filled days. I took to riding my bike in lyrca and tweed. But never at the same time of course. Long, pointless rides that wheeled around my favourite trees, dodging branches and revelling in the feel of the earth beneath my wheels.

Can you gambol on a bike? I gambolled; slowly, standing on my pedals, past the abundant globular inflorescences of rows of acacia or the plentiful blossoms of prunus. Often turning around to do it again. All the while imbibing the inimitable fragrance and view.


my impression of a wattle through a magnifying glass

My favourite type of blossom is the larger white one, with the crimson core. The Crimson Rosella is not so picky. They will colourfully pick every blossom off a tree to eat some part at the base. Fun when you are standing underneath the tree, strategically positioned so the petals fall on your face as they go about their destruction. Not so fun if you watch it destroy a future crop of apricot or peach in your own backyard.

I should have a photo of my favourite blossom, but technology failure saw me lose two weeks of phone data. It was like travelling back in time, to find truncated message chains and a whole series of photos no longer existed. As if these things never happened.


via Flickr

That reminds me. When I saw a Delorean driving along Northbourne Ave recently, I was desperate to communicate with the driver. Pulling up behind him at the lights, I was able to draw a quick sketch of a flux capacitor in my notebook and present it from my seat to his rear vision mirror. The driver noticed, was able to appreciate this palindrome of the circuit world and gave me a thumbs up.

To find a favourite blossom planting, head North from Civic along Northbourne Ave and shortly take a left onto Masson St. Then turn left onto Watson St. There is a dense planting of blossom trees. Only two rows, but they are very close together and quite young. The right height and width to be filled with their aroma when betwixt the rows if conditions are right.

Cleverly, there are two varieties planted there. Although the rain may have finished the pink ones today, there is a planting of another white variety in between. They were only just beginning to bloom a few days ago.

The blossom below was in Hahndorf, South Australia; August, 2011.

No comments: