17 September 2011

The Grand Adventure

On Friday, I went for an awesome walk by and near Lake Burley Griffin. The weather was glorious.


It somehow took over three hours. Once I got to the corner of Flynn Drive and Alexandrina Drive, I was surprised to find that the Chinese are building a second embassy building next to their existing one. Very low key frontage to the lake. It is pretty big. New World Superpower Size.

Someone had dumped a broken washing machine on the spare tracks used by trucks to the right of the compound. Seriously, why don't people throw their rubbish in a bin? Or use a dump? Tempting to write a big sweary sign. We should have hard rubbish collection in Canberra.

It was all bush-bashing after that, up through a very thick young uniform sized eucalyptus grove. Fairly slow going around the ridge formed by Forster Crescent. At least 100 metres of blackberry bushes. I can't remember exactly, as I was trying to play flute at the same time. I guess because of the embassies around there, they don't clean it up and encourage wandering. It was mildly irksome in jeans and sneakers, but some boots and/or a machete would make it easier.

The work of a landcare group is evident once out of the neck of the valley. It is an interesting tract of land, because it is largely undisturbed. Lots of big ant's nests:


And I saw a bunch of Spitfires:



Fascinating creatures, they spit yellow eucalyptus oil when threatened. Check out wikipedia.

I also saw a centipede, but only shot a bit of video of it. About 10cm long. Red around the edges, yet so good at camouflage when they choose to twist themselves up.

It doesn't bear to think about these creepy crawlies crawling around on a person. The spitfire has a nasty reputation that is probably undeserved, I doubt I ever found one in my hair or on my neck, but as children they freak us out when we imagine being attacked by them.

During the week I spent a few hours in Fairbairn Pines. Mostly I was photographing a lichen. I decided that I am not that big a fan of pine plantations. Aesthetically anyway. Alone in the forest, where only the trees hear my tears, I recognise my attachment to the earth-plane.

Like all natural phenomena, once observed, I find their presence everywhere. Now I can see from my balcony a lichen on a trunk just metres from me. For the same reason, it was slow going through the bush when trying to avoid breaking or disturbing all the spiderwebs stretched between branches.

It seemed like the first real day of spring where the earth had a chance to warm through and radiate the heat of the sun upwards. The gently baking earth warming cocoons and pupae.

Other sightings:
  • first butterfly and dragonfly of the season
  • massive burrow complex, but only one bunny rabbit
  • acacia plantings by a landcare group
  • many cairns
  • native wildflowers
  • awesome cubbyhouse precinct
This is not an alien, but a freak of photography. The same spot of fungus, found on a fallen pine, is pictured immediately afterwards, sans eyes.






There is not a lot of detail in the yellow lichen unless you enlarge it. I find the suction cup-like protuberances the coolest part.

So, I don't know who is responsible for the cubbies, but they are huge and well built. I took some video as I didn't know if mutants were going to charge out and I wanted people to know what happened to me if my phone was discovered after the event. I was all prepared to send the video as a distress signal. An anthropilacitatus is not actually a giant wombat to the best of my knowledge.



So, there were quite a few of these structures, although this one was the finest.

I sat to play some flute then. A couple of kangaroos stopped to listen. I have never found kangaroos very intelligent. In this case they proved it, by not staying to listen. When I got back to the National Library, I played this video while waiting outside. A pair of magpies walked over and started carolling along with it for a minute. The video is on a funny angle because I was levitating at the time.



I wish you could have seen the wind blowing in my hair along the lake. Oh, hang on, I took a video for you.

For a video of the wind blowing through my hair, please send $20 and a SSAE to your nearest favourite tree.

Clearly the National Capital Authority should pay me to serve as a wandering tourist attraction.




No comments: