07 August 2011

I Love Words 1



Immortality

I feel in all my limbs His boundless Grace;
Within my heart the Truth of life shines white.
The secret heights of God my soul now climbs;
No dole, no sombre pang, no death in my sight.

No mortal days and nights can shake my calm;
A Light above sustains my secret soul.
All doubts with grief are banished from my deeps,
My eyes of light perceive my cherished Goal.

Though in the world, I am above its woe;
I dwell in an ocean of supreme release.
My mind, a core of the One's unmeasured thoughts;
The star-vast welkin hugs my Spirit's peace.

My eternal days are found in speeding time;
I play upon His Flute of rhapsody.
Impossible deeds no more impossible seem;
In birth-chains now shines Immortality.

from My Flute, Agni Press, 1972
Sri Chinmoy

Shakespeare for a Sunday

It is in Act 1, of The Winter's Tale, that Leontes admonishes his companion to,
"Look on me with your welkin eye."
In A Midsummer Night's Dream, Act 3, Oberon commands the redoubtable Puck, cupid on amphetamines, carnation of chaos:
"Thou seest these lovers seek a place to fight;
Hie therefore, Robin, overcast the night;
The starry welkin cover thou anon
With drooping fog as black as Acheron*,
And lead these testy rivals so astray
As one come not within another's way."
In Richard III, the ever-martial King Richard implores:
"Fight, gentlemen of England! Fight bold yeomen!
Draw, archers, draw your arrows to the head!
Spur your proud horses hard, and ride in blood;
Amaze the welkin with your broken staves!"

*
Latin Acherōn
Ancient Greek Ἀχέρων
One of the rivers of the underworld, the god of this river, the underworld, especially as the abode of the dead, a river in Epirus.

No comments: