24 May 2011

Citrus



It must be lime season somewhere in Australia, for they are tremendously cheap at the moment. It is wonderful to have limes on hand. The juice works with sweet and savoury foods. At one point, I was squeezing it over double chocolate ice cream as well as soaking my grated apple for muesli in it. With winter coming, beating scurvy is an imperative, so I juiced a kilo and froze the juice. Without an ice-cream maker, I could only make a half-hearted attempt at making sorbet; but, at the same time, I added a little sugar to the juice of lemons, limes and oranges, froze them separately and stirred infrequently. Having bought calcium ascorbate powder, instead of my usual Vitamin C pills, I can mix the powder with a little frozen juice and water to drink.

My muesli recipe is now quite advanced. Rolled oats, barley or triticale are mixed with pepitas, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, chopped dried apricot, dried cranberries and nuts – pecans for preference. Then I mix a grated apple (Granny Smith) with lime juice, or lemon juice, which prevents oxidisation. Frozen raspberries go in with the apple and citrus juice too. Combine everything with Greek Yoghurt. It can sit for a day or two in the fridge and the taste will improve.

Last night I baked biscuits with :

  • barley
  • golden syrup
  • dates
  • butter
  • nutmeg
  • cinnamon
  • pecan
  • flour
  • dark chocolate
  • cranberries




They taste really good this morning.

I also cooked:

  • green beans with pine nuts, pepitas, butter and light sour cream
  • braised broccoli with garlic, lemon, olive oil and butter
  • zucchini roasted with sun-dried tomato oil

but that all dissapeared for dinner.

While I was making dinner, I also made a few days supply of muesli. Mixed a jar of yoghurt with cinnamon and honey too. It was really just a competition in the kitchen to see how many things I could do at once!

Oh, I just remembered that I made guacamole at the same time. I can eat that for lunch I guess.

No comments: