13 February 2011

Strange Weather

I joined the Strange Weather Gospel Choir recently. The name is a combination of the following songs:





Eric Dozier is leading us for the next six weeks. We had a six hour workshop yesterday and learnt a lot about gospel, slavery, the civil rights movement and MLK. It was amazing, if exhausting, and I can't seem to remember any of the songs. We didn't use printed music. I filmed some of it, but unfortunately just how out of tune I am is alarmingly audible, otherwise I would post the video. I am struggling with being a low bass. I never thought I was a bass and it is hard not to start singing other parts, but listening is the main thing.

So I am listening to the Blind Boys of Alabama and Ray Charles today. Ray Charles took the melodies from the church and made songs like Hallelujah I Love Her So to much scandal. Vincent Dorsey added a blues and jazz feel to church music. I think that was the story! The video about Precious Lord is worth watching.

This is a real cool song too:



Last night at the multicultural festival I danced to a collective of Sierra Leonian drummers. It was sweaty work. I played some djembe too. I also met a guy who said he would invite me to talk about poetry on local community radio.

On the topic of strange weather, it feels like it has been raining all summer.

No comments: