16 January 2011

Pictures, poems


I just took a photo in Haig Park, down the road from where I live. I was trying to catch the golden glow of the setting sun on the tall pines, but it wasn't really working. The plan was to shoot that and then try and catch the golden reflection on the ground that shone through the trees. Right before I took this shot, I literally ran to catch the light. It looked like this in the viewfinder and a moment after I took the shot the sun slipped below the horizon. (click to enlarge)




There is always a few supernal minutes around sunset full of pastel poems of peace. I will try and get out there every night to enjoy it from now on.


Still decorating my new place, slowly but surely. Today a cast iron Japanese teapot, short and stout. It has a handle and a spout.




It all seems a bit psychedelic right now.


*


Following is a poem from Hafiz, translated by Daniel Ladinsky. Apparently in Iran etc, it is not unusual for folk to sit around after dinner and recite Hafiz and Rumi to each other, even these days. Hafiz says, "I am a hole in a flute that the Christ's breath moves through - listen to this music...."


I Knew We Would Be Friends


As soon as you opened your mouth
And I heard your soft
Sounds,

I knew we would be
Friends.

The first time, dear pilgrim, I heard
You laugh,

I knew it would not take me long
To turn you back into
God.


*


Here is a diamond from Sri Chinmoy, good for evening or any time:


Let us not worry.
He who has brought us
...Into the world
Will take us back Home safely.



*

Here are a few poems by yours truly from years past:


Just feel
That whatever you have,
God is hungry for
that very thing:
How can you be
...unsatisfied?


*


I am an ordinary man
If the grass is ordinary,
The pebble, the tree and the sky,
I am an ordinary man.
The ripe fragrance of the hill
Which flows through my veins
At sunset,
One great big
...beautiful breath.

I tell you, the sky is living in my
throat; I can't walk down
the street without tripping
over twelve miracles.



No comments: