01 January 2010

Happy New Year

I am bored with Terry Pratchett books. I have read 21 in the last four months so I am taking a break - with the intention of reading them all eventually. I just read The Man Who Fell to Earth by Walter Tevis. It was excellent. The science fiction of the 1960's is so alive with possibility. We are fairly blasé about technology these days. They made this story into a film starring David Bowie, but the plot bears little resemblance to the book. It finishes with an interesting political commentary. It is quite short, it only took an evening to read.

I have also started on the The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. It has been described as Harry Potter written by the illegitimate love-child of Raymond Chandler and Douglas Adams. Real literature for the ages then.

I missed running the Tour De Mountain the week before Christmas because of a cold. This was disappointing because I had done it two years in a row. I am nearly better and looking forward to to running in the Vibram Five Fingers I got for Christmas. Okay, I bought them for myself.

I think this story amply illustrates why most people don't like spiders.

If you are looking for a classy dining experience in Canberra then I reccomend Aubergine. The vegetarian options while excellent were both cheese based (goat's cheese and ricotta). If I eat there again I will take advantage of the offer of alternatives.

I finally won a promotion at work after three years of higer duties. World domination to follow.

If you after a unique blend of comedy and drama then watch Big River Man. Martin Strel is literally a swimming god. Entertainingly he fully conforms to the stereotype of the mad Eastern European.

No comments: