08 November 2008

A horse! A horse!


Some weeks ago I went to see a play: Anatomy Titus, an adaptation of Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus. Check out the review. It is not the most appealing of Shakespeare's plays, considering all the mutilation, rape, beheading, evisceration and cannibalism that it contains; but the all-male cast did a bloody good job of it. I previously prepared for my outing by watc
hing the film Titus, but I only got half way through it. I do not recommend this play or film as an introduction to Shakespeare's work.

It led me to ask of man:

What brutal nest of vipers rest
Betwixt thy breast
?


Well, we just watched Richard III, starring Sir Ian McKellen.
Richard's craze for power knows no rest or limits in this story. It is a sublime pleasure to watch this great actor relishing the title role. I can not think of a more pleasing villain; what a wickedly enchanting performance.

At 100 minutes, the film is a greatly abridged version of the play and the language is easy to follow. Unfortunately, Robert Downey Jr does not last long, but most of the cast suffer his fate! Do not miss this brilliant adaptation.

Click to read








No comments: