27 September 2008

New Plastics

'The end of writing is to instruct; the end of poetry is to instruct by pleasing.'

Thus wrote Samuel Johnson in his Preface to The Plays of William Shakespeare.


I have glasses now for mild astigmatism. Putting them on is like applying Unsharp Mask to the world. I was shocked to learn they are made of plastic and not glass. I told my father that my sister paid me the ultimate compliment by declaring, "You look like Dad!" The affirmation offered by Louise Hay for this condition is, "I am now willing to see my own beauty and magnificence." I never realised it was a problem! But I'll try...


The gentleman below most definitely has The Right Stuff.


Swiss pilot Yves Rossy lands near Dover in southern England after flying across the English Channel on a jet-propelled wing. "It was perfect. Blue sky, sunny, no clouds, perfect conditions," Rossy told the Associated Press. "We prepared everything, and it was great."

Rossy jumped out of a plane at about 8,200 feet, fired up his jets and made the 22-mile trip from Calais, France.



I want one.

1 comment:

John said...

Nice glasses Alf. You've got the right stuff now.