12 February 2008

O day and night, but this is wondrous strange!

Beyond the strife which makes my life ripe
Above the mind of thunder night
There is a place outside space

The voice of silence grows
The voice of silence grows
The voice of silence grows

There goes the burden of abstraction,
The certain demand for proof,
Wanting, wanting, wanting, always

The voice of silence grows
The voice of silence grows
The voice of silence grows


+


A few weeks ago, I was talking to my excellent friend about life these days:

"Everything always seems to work out so well for me. I seem to live this charmed existence. I can't understand it. I don't know if there's a reason why my life is like this."

His reply:

"Of course there's a reason - it's because God loves you!"

It gives me a lot of joy to remember that love again. It is so easy to forget, but once you know it, everything else is surplus: entertainment or opportunity as you will.

This all came back to me after I read Sumangali's story. Highly recommended.


+


The title of this post is courtesy of Shakespeare. It's apropos of nothing but my poem was untitled and it sounds cool. In fact, Horatio is totally tripped out by the ghost of the King (Hamlet's father) wandering the battlements. Hamlet is like, "Chill bro, There are more things in heaven and earth..."

2 comments:

Sumangali Morhall said...

Thanks for the link, Alf. Glad you stuck with my story long enough for the happy ending (unlike Hamlet's, poor soul).

I think all blog posts should have a Shakespearean title. Not just yours, everybody's. Who can beat the Bard for though-provoking one-liners?

Alf said...

You're welcome.

Thank you.