14 February 2008

Et tu?

It was a significant day for Australia on February 13th, 2008. Prime Minister Kevin Rudd stood before Parliament and the Nation to deliver to the people what they had demanded for years. It's a parochial story, but what really impressed me during his first speech to Parliament was the depth of vision and sincerity that I saw our leader really possessed .

Afterwards at work, I was working on a strategy paper and I decided to start it with two quotes. The first was from the speech Rudd had just delivered. The second was the words of Brutus:

There is a tide in the affairs of men.
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat,
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose our ventures.

Julius Caesar by Shakespeare
Act 4, scene 3, 218-224

It was that sort of day.

Very inspiring.

The rest of the team liked my paper, but reminded me that Brutus was a murderer. Hey, nobody's perfect!

In the long term, it is predicted that we are all facing a future without Shakespeare.

1 comment:

John said...

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings."

But I'm more than happy with a speech like that from a star like Kevin Rudd (and from a certain public servant with a poetic touch).