03 December 2007

Riding

I am so glad that the Labor government was sworn in officially today after Australia's recent Federal election. For me it is the difference between darkness and light. It is so great to have some vision and imagination in policy again. Now when someone says 'the Prime Minister,' I don't have to squirm anymore.

Recent filmic viewing:

Pirates of The Caribbean: At World's End. Is this the worst movie of the year? Yes, in my experience. Don't watch this film. It takes an age for nothing to happen and then it doesn't make any sense. Special effects means that it is now more expensive than ever to make a bad movie these days.

The Lost Boys
. Scary! Good fun. I loved this film when I was a kid and it was pretty cool to watch it again. This is kind of a horror version of The Goonies. Corey Feldman plays the same role as his dude in The 'Burbs. Another fine piece of 1980's nonsense.

Bridge to Terabithia. A tale of childhood, the power of imagination and hope. Very nice; the ending surprised me a bit, especially the bank robbery. That's called a red herring.

Into The Wild
. I haven't watched this yet, so what can I say? The book was enthralling. I remember as a callow youth once, wandering in a nature park, imagining the ultimate test: being alone with nature. Facing the self without artifice. Confronting the essence of the wilderness to discover truth. I was yet to realise that philosophy is good for selling breakfast cereal. According to one review I read, the directorial vision of Sean Penn has blossomed and this film is his message to American youth today. That message being: "Get off the couch!" I therefore have high hopes.

A friend told me once that the real challenge is to tame the self and this is like riding a tiger. This is not easy, it will be difficult and makes for a pretty rough ride. The alternative is to remain at the mercy of the tiger, under its control, which is really no fun at all.

No comments: