02 December 2007

Deep Space

Sorry if you thought I was going to write about Star Trek.

No, this morning Rathin and I drove 60km from home to Namadgi National Park. The Deep Space Mountain Marathon was held near the defunct Honeysuckle Creek Deep Space Tracking Station. (Remember when NASA was still a celebrity?) We chose to tackle the 18km run instead of the marathon itself or even the 25km which both started at 0530 as opposed to our 0730 start.

It was a selection event for the Aussie team for the 2008 World Long Distance Mountain Running Championship. Sorry guys, I didn't make the cut, but I'm just telling you it was seriously hilly.

I loved it. You can learn a lot about rhythm and persistence on hills. You can learn a lot about yourself too. You can't learn much about rebuilding car engines on the other hand.

Being in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by nature, it was tempting to stop and just enjoy the joie de vivre, but I had forgotten my French-English dictionary! Sacrebleu, I had to keep running.

Here is me a short time after crossing the finish line. I really like wearing towels on my head. A lot. See how happy I am. I can't remember when this first began.



My t-shirt had an aphorism by Sri Chinmoy printed on the back:

"When we are propelled
By the power
Of inner faith
We can do the impossible."

I know that it really inspired everyone because they all ran straight past me.

Here is Rathin crossing the line.


See you next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Deep Space, no-one can hear you scream!

John said...

I need some of the Deep Space you’ve been taking. Nice post Alf.