09 July 2007

All the news

It has been a while since my last post. It is for lack of poetry that I have had no reason to publish anything. Work has been quite busy too. My running schedule is going well. Living in a cold place means that first thing is best and I feel much warmer all day.

I tried baking Lemon Delicious last week, but my version of this self-saucing pudding lacked sauce. I definitely need an electric mixer. Not just for mixing cakes like this, but for whipping cream. Hercules need undertake no fabulous labours to prove his strength, if he can whip 5 litres of cream by hand. After whipping half a litre, I was covered in cream and nearly bereft of a shoulder.

I ponder the art of cooking in unfamiliar territory as this and realise that an education in such an art provides an understanding of the properties of ingredients. This allows improvisation. Otherwise, I will need a solid base of experience with baking before I can eye off the measures so wantonly.

I have recently been blamed for “fattening up” the house. A charge I vigorously deny. Although it’s true that my signature dish contains at least 2 large tubs of cream and half a kilo of cheese, I rarely make it. Gruyere doesn’t grow on trees. The rind is washed daily with salt for months before it is ready, so it is expensive. Apparently it is the secret of superb French Onion soup. I love onions so I will try that before the summer days arrive again.

When the skies open, the rain seeks out the lowest place of earth. So too the eye of heaven encompasses all. It’s kind of a poem, even though it sounds like the I Ching.

Keep meditating.

Here are a few pictures from the weekend.

Flower



Flower power



Aryavan of Sydney



Nigel



More flora



Amalendu and Prachar the Mongolian



Me



I guess you had to be there.

2 comments:

John said...

Did I tell you I've been trying to come over to Canberra for a while now, but it seems that I have the most useless travel agent in the world—a situation which has been stymieing my travel plans. Then again, maybe I am the most useless traveler in the world, seeing as I continue to use him.

Better the slack-jawed incompetent you know as my mother used to say...

zenobia said...

an australian and Tagore..and Geetanjali...what's going on here alf ??