08 June 2007

What goes up...


I occasionally check out where my visitors come from. This was the inspiration for my post Song of The Internet. I largely credit John at Sensitivity to Things for many of the new visitors I receive here. Still, occasionally strangers make there way here through Google. I am surprised that one of my most popular posts seems to be Rain and other falling objects. Someone dropped by after typing into Google:

GENERATE MY OWN FALLING OBJECT


Now, I don't pretend to be a physicist, but how hard is it? The laws of gravity tend to be fairly immutable here on planet earth. Still, If you do have a real interest in science, then I recommend to you the record of a conversation between Albert Einstein and Rabindranath Tagore. Here is a taste:

TAGORE: I was discussing with Dr. Mendel today the new mathematical discoveries which tell us that in the realm of infinitesimal atoms chance has its play; the drama of existence is not absolutely predestined in character.

EINSTEIN: The facts that make science tend toward this view do not say good-bye to causality.

TAGORE: Maybe not, yet it appears that the idea of causality is not in the elements, but that some other force builds up with them an organized universe.

True, that is the sort of discussion you don't often hear on public transport; but I must confess a greater fondness for Tagore's poetry or prose:


I thought that my voyage had come to its end at the last limit of my power,--that the path before me was closed, that provisions were exhausted and the time come to take shelter in a silent obscurity.

But I find that thy will knows no end in me. And when old words die out on the tongue, new melodies break forth from the heart; and where the old tracks are lost, new country is revealed with its wonders.

That I want thee, only thee--let my heart repeat without end. All desires that distract me, day and night, are false and empty to the core.

As the night keeps hidden in its gloom the petition for light, even thus in the depth of my unconsciousness rings the cry--"I want thee, only thee".

As the storm still seeks its end in peace when it strikes against peace with all its might, even thus my rebellion strikes against thy love and still its cry is--"I want thee, only thee".


3 comments:

Sumangali Morhall said...

Nice post, Alf. I very much enjoyed the Gitanjali excerpt.

Funnily enough I just mentioned Einstein's view of the Universe in my blog about 15 minutes ago!

“GENERATE MY OWN FALLING OBJECT” made me laugh. I am often amazed at the routes people take to my own site through Google: “monty python there were 13 of us living in a shoebox” and “eccentricity in Britain” being amongst the most recent. Quite worrying :-)

John said...

I also enjoyed your post Alf. At this rate you’ll be needing to change the name of your blog soon to reflect a vastly increased audience—“ThousandsofEyes” perhaps?

Google search phrases were an inspiration for a post of my own at the kindly mentioned by yourself Sensitivity to Things: Follow the Rainbow, where the discovery of the query "Seeing a Rainbow in your living room means what?" blew somebody’s mind—my own or theirs I am not completely sure.

I have a follow up in the works also which you have just reminded me of—“i am losing my mind,” ”losing my side losing my mind” and “i afraid of three things” are pennies from internet heaven too precious to pass up...

Alf said...

The internet does indeed work in mysterious ways.

"ThousandsofEyes" there are, but only one who shines through them all, therefore I remain the same.

Someone looking for "thousand-eye man" found this blog. I wonder of that seeker, "Was it a vision, or a waking dream?"

Ask the nightingale...