22 June 2007

A life of public service

Tonight, at the conclusion of a meditation class I helped to present, an interesting Indian gentleman presented a theory to us. It went something along the lines of, "The British first conquered India via Bengal, and the Indians there were very happy as they were able to get good civil service jobs which allowed them to meditate all day instead of being shopkeepers." I have no idea if this is an accurate representation of history, the civil service in India, or the Bengali character! Still, being a public servant myself these days, I have to laugh. I feel like I have no time to meditate in my day at all at the moment. It's a fact. We don't sit around all day doing nothing anymore just because we can.

I actually wore a new suit to work today and it made such a difference in how people related to me. In essence, I could make the same number of jokes, but I got more respect. This can’t be a bad thing, as I really like to make jokes. I purchased this suit on a recent trip to Adelaide. The plan was to only buy a pair of pants, but I got talked into a suit. This isn’t quite as lame as it sounds. I couldn’t find any pants that were quite right. After trying on five suits and discussing at length the art of proper dressing with the salesman - in the manner of Zen koans - he pulled out the cheapest suit in the shop. I swear he was hiding it. It was perfect: excellent cloth, classic cut, just last season. Plus it cost less than twice as much as a decent pair of pants. Time to stop talking about clothes now. I blame Dressing the Man: Mastering the Art of Permanent Fashion for this periodic affliction.

New goal.

Meditate at work, even for one minute. It has to be possible. Now, if I could only find something to wear...

2 comments:

John said...

I've found meditating at work to be a huge benefit. But then I do usually work at home...

Next week I am back at my old work as a contractor, where the guy who was junior to me and now has most of my old duties and responsibilities sits directly behind, and asks me every time I get up from the desk if I am “charging the company for this too?”

Alf said...

Jealousy, it's a terrible thing.

They pay out IT contractors in bags of gold.