04 May 2007

The Word pt 1

To complete my poetic week, a visit to A Sensitivity to Things, led me to sumangaIi.org where I read Who by Sri Aurobindo. I listened to Sri Chinmoy recite this poem in April while I was in New York.

In the thrall of those moments again, I discover not words, but the fulcrum of existence. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." (John 1:1)

When we write poetry,
God says, "Look,
Here is My Crown:
Take it.
I am tired of My Throne,
I want to stay with you,
I need to drink all your tears;
Then we will widen
Our smiles completely.
Nothing else will satisfy me.
Don't you know?
It is not so comfortable
In Heaven all alone.”

The poet smiling,
Holds the cup of bliss
Flowing, Knows no
Sweeter kiss, Saying:
“Take, drink,
There is so much
We must share.”





Copyright 2007




3 comments:

Steve said...

The Word refered to in that Gospel passage is Jesus Christ (that whole passage is clearly describing Jesus' existence and coming into the world - "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us..." (John 1:14). So that inerrant Scripture is telling us that one of the Trinitarian persons of God is Jesus Christ, ie Jesus is God. It follows naturally you should follow Christ's teachings and commandments, including the Catholic Church He established.

Alf said...

Thanks for visiting Steve.

Say hi to Mum and Dad.

John said...

How does that song go?

"He's ain't heavy, Steve's my brother."

Or something like that. It's most famous here in NZ as the backing song to a TV ad for the police—at least for non-music buffs like me, who don't know who originally sang it (The Hollies it seems).