12 May 2007

Saturday

Today I published a gallery of race photos from last weekend. You may check out the gallery at the Sri Chinmoy 2007 Yerrabi Pond/Mulligans Flat Multi-Sport Race. This is my favourite shot below, because of the concentration power there, and also because the expression seems so mutable.



I recorded some more vocals today, we will have to see what Rathin comes up with in response. I have seen him reading the music for Beethoven's violin concerto lately, so it might be interesting!

On classical music, I stumbled across the clip below. The music is composed and performed by an Italian cellist, Giovanni Sollima, and the clip is by a Norwegian called Lasse Gjertsen. It is called Sogno ad Occhi Aperti. It means, 'dream from open eyes,' or just 'daydream' if you are not feeling so poetic. The ending is cool.



The director said, "
On the six arms parts, which by the way took most of the time to make, I filmed Sollima playing the different layers of cello after each other. I then edited the video frame by frame in Photoshop (remember, it's 25 frames per second of video), cutting his arms out from the other layers and pasting it on top, matching the movement of the cello. This was done ca 4000 times, by myself."

Impressive, but it may be old news to anyone who keeps a close eye on Youtube, as the director was the wunderkind of 2006.



4 comments:

John said...

I guarantee there are easier ways to mask out video than exporting frame by frame into Photoshop (for example he could have filmed the cellist playing wearing a blue suit except for the arms).

Sequence near the end of the video reminds me a little of the intro from Fight Club—but this is much better.

Incidentally, a lot of the colourisation in Lord of the Rings was done this way (and yes I am the only person in NZ not to make it into the credits). Photoshop really is the king of image manipulation...

Alf said...

I never knew you worked on Lord of the Rings. My use of Photoshop is the story of the human brain, I ues only 2% of its potential :)

Thanks

John said...

Er, let me rephrase that—I must be the only person in NZ who didn't work on LOTR! Many of the people I have worked with did...

Knowing Photoshop is actually in my job description these days, yet in all honesty I still feel like I only know about 50% of what there is to know.

Sumangali Morhall said...

Cool video, thanks Alf.

Just thinking about that Photoshop job has made everything I do (in or out of Photoshop) seem a whole lot less daunting :-)

Even without any of John's film expertise, the first thing I thought was that there's got to be an easier way to do that! Still, it's awesome that someone could care enough to do it by hand.