13 April 2007

You can't have your cake

John has inspired me to write another post, seeing as he is all the way...in the next room. He was not happy with his vegetarian meal on United. I flew Asiana for the first time. Picked up a good deal on travel.com. Tell them you know me.

What gets me about the ovo-lacto vegetarian option on planes is that it means, "No cake." Yeah, like I don't want to eat cream, custard, caramel or all those other things that actually make life worth living.

Yes, I do!

Can I hear an Amen?

As the meal service was wrapping up, I had a quiet word to a stewardess on behalf of suffering airborne vegetarians everywhere. "Excuse me, I am a vegetarian and I didn't get any cake. We never get cake...do you think that there might be a spare piece?"

She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh. Wait - that's not right - she said, "I will see what I can do."

Shortly she returned with another bread roll, a fruit salad and...the cake, the precious cake!

This story goes to show that you can have your cake and eat it too, although I am pretty sure that God invented the original saying. In fact, I think it's His favourite.

The cake was pretty crap of course.

That's the point.

What do you want from airline food anyway?



That's me in the middle with the friendly flight crew.