18 April 2007

Reading

I tried so hard to read some Saul Bellow. I failed. I didn't find the words and concepts engaged me. I figured that as Humboldt's Gift was published just before he won the Nobel Prize for Literature it should be a good sign, like The Winter of Our Discontent by Steinbeck which I love, but it wasn't.

I found a few books in the lounge to entertain me instead. I read About a Boy by Nick Hornby which was cool. The film was pretty faithful to the book but it was a lot more sentimental or romantic. Great book, very warm. This led me to High Fidelity also by Nick Hornby but that lost me about half way through as I found it too indulgent. It became a movie too, so I grabbed the soundtrack and am listening to that instead. Travelling down the same road I just finished A Long Way Down and it was alright, good theme, faithful interplay between the characters.

Right now I am reading Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut and I really like it. All this means is I am finding it compelling. This book is considered a pretty big deal, it is certainly trippy. I am interested to see what The First Tuesday Book Club makes of it. I read Cat's Cradle last year and thought it was kooky but I didn't leap to any grand conclusion as a result. I love satire but unless it makes me laugh it doesn't stick if that's not too harsh a comment. I'll try and do better this time and rave here later.

Enough about books.