05 March 2007

Sweeping

I took some photos on the weekend: triathletes, lots of trees, some golden light of evening - but I have not edited anything as yet to publish. Stay tuned or snooze. I have decided I am happy with my camera now and don't want to upgrade or buy a new lenses, which is unusual. I guess I feel I can throw it up to my eye and I know what it will do. I still get excited when I see the crisp colours recorded on the lcd screen at the back. I spent a fair bit of the weekend working like a dog and finally musing that it would be a really glorious existence to be a street sweeper. That way it would be possible to actually learn something about life. You can really change the world with a broom.

Here is an excerpt from a poem that calls to mind my time with a broom. It is by Robert Frost and is called Two Tramps in Mud Time.

My object in living is to unite
My avocation and my vocation
As my two eyes make one in sight.
Only where love and need are one,
And the work is play for mortal stakes,
Is the deed ever really done

For Heaven and the future's sakes.

If you want to have fun go out for dinner to an Indian restaurant with nine friends. Then go to an ice-cream parlour where they give out numbered tickets with your order. When they are calling out numbers, shout rhymes, like:

37 "I'm in heaven."
38 "Don't be late."
39 "I feel fine."


1 comment:

John said...

"40 - You've been naughty?"

Gosh, isn't Robert Frost good! Added to my list of great poets I really ought to read properly one of these days.

Incidentally, you're now on the frontpage of A Sensitivity to Things...