26 March 2007

Fool me once

My friend Noivedya is a great writer and he has just informed me that an article he wrote has been syndicated - God knows how this works - and it has now been viewed over 47,000 times. Impressive, and a far cry from my online publishing efforts.

The piece is called The 20 Greatest Historical Myths.

Noivedya loves lists, he is like that much loved dog-eared book in the junior school library which is full of freaky facts or utterly useless information - depending on your point of view.

His article provides me with ample opportunity to prove now that I really am an idiot.


17. Marie Antoinette said "Let them each cake"

In 1766, Jean Jacques Rousseau wrote of an incident he recalled from some 25 years earlier, in which "a great princess" (name unknown) was told that the country people had no bread. "Then let them eat cake," she replied. When Rousseau wrote of this, Marie Antoinette was an 11-year-old child in Austria. The French Revolution would not begin for another 23 years. The myth that she spoke these infamous words was probably spread by revolutionary propagandists, to illustrate her cold indifference to the plight of the French people.

Well, I always knew this was a myth, because I'm so clever, I knew that what she really said was, "Then let them have brioche instead." It makes sense! She was French you know.

Hmmm, I suspect that somewhere a Frenchman is to blame for all of this.



Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.


Thanks to the Chinese and their inexhaustible supply of proverbs.

Last night I rang the local Chinese take away and the conversation went a bit like this:

"Hello, Dumpling Inn, can I help you please?"

"Can I get some take away?"

"No, I'm sorry, we are closing."

"Then you can't help me, can you?"

"No."


See you at the
boulangerie, mon ami.










No comments: