06 February 2007

Richard III

I am loving this play by Shakespeare. It's so organic I feel like I am inside it. His genius is somehow linked to the fact that of eight unfamiliar words, I will only one need to be look up one, and then just for curiosity's sake. It really is easy to understand if you let play in your head while you read. That might be why they call these things plays. Of course, I bought it for $8.95, as it never occurred to me to read it on line. Bargain.

I have always thought that it would be very, very clever to memorise his words and whip them out on suitable occasions.

"Foul devil, for God's sake hence, and trouble us not,
For thou hast made the happy earth thy hell,
Filled it with cursing cries and deep exclaims." I.2.50-53

This speech of Lady Anne immediately brought to mind John Howard, and further admonishes:

"Blush, blush, thou lump of foul deformity..." I.2.57

Well, I have no intentions of getting too political here. There is enough of that about already and I don't want to dirty my head.

Today I had all these meetings at work and I had stayed up so late the night before - reading and writing blogs - that I was sleeping with my eyes open, hallucinating and playing with things on the table that weren't even there. I distinctly recall folding origami out of nothing. At one point I snapped out of it and started typing on my laptop that wasn't even there. Luckily, no-one noticed that particular move.

In these situations what can you do? Make a joke. Everyone else is secretly as bored as you and their appreciation will wake you up. Another trick is to hold onto a pen and when you drop it you will wake your self up. Of course, if you drop your pen under the table nine times people might think you are drunk, retarded or worse. Sub-consciously, I was absorbing the paper we were reviewing because when someone asked a question at the end I knew the answer like a whiz.

Tonight I am having an early night.

Probably.

Listen to Missing My Son by Tom Waits from the Orphans box set if you get a chance. It is funny. The kooky prose on the last link is worth a read too.

One day, I will learn the art of whipping up a quick post, but I am very finicky.

No comments: