11 February 2007

I AM WHERE I AM

I am from above,
Believe it or not.
For God's sake I am on earth.

I am from below,
Believe it or not.
For man's sake I am in Heaven.

No preference have I
For the highest Height
Or the abysmal depth.

For God's sake,
For man's sake,
I am where I am.

Sri Chinmoy
When God-Love Descends

Of poetry, I am apt to muse that writing upon it is like trying to taste cake under a microscope. A Zen tale has it that a traveller stumbled upon a monk playing the zither. He stopped to enjoy the music for it was a long and intricate piece. When the monk finished playing, the pilgrim spoke, “Ah, can you tell me the meaning of this song?” Whereupon, the monk immediately preceded to play the entire piece again.

Forgive my conceit.

I Am Where I Am
reveals a state of oneness with the entire universe; it spontaneously embodies the compassion inherent in existence. Upon the diadem of simplicity, the brightest jewel is peace.

In popular consciousness, the term God is denied its sacred status. It wears a weighty cloak of fear and suspicion. Still, only the most primitive human, powered solely by brute instinct, remains unaware that they possess a lower and a higher nature. These extremities are cast as man and God. Heaven – above and earth – below hunger for each other. The detached soul exists that these opposites may know extinction. It has no need of dichotomy and humbly knows its purpose.

Finally, we need no Name at all when our heart is a spontaneous cry for completeness - a love yearning – for what we know we truly are.

1 comment:

John Gillespie said...

Ah, diadem:

"The Sky is Low" by Emily Dickinson

The Sky is low-the Clouds are mean
A Traveling Flake of Snow
Across a Barn or through a Rut
Debates if it will go-

A Narrow Wind complains all Day
How some one treated him.
Nature, like Us is sometimes caught
Without her Diadem.