22 February 2007

The best medicine

Today I rang Kevin Rudd's office.

Me: "Hello, I understand that Mr Rudd is meeting with Mr Cheney tomorrow."

Secretary: "That's correct."

Me: "I just wanted to say that if he received an invitation to go hunting, that it might be best if he politely declined."

Secretary (cracking up): "I think that is a very good idea."

Me: "Okay, thank you, bye bye."

Secretary: "Bye."

Yes, I was kind of on fire today. I'm in the midst of switching jobs and was tidying up loose ends. Here is the email I sent to 104 people in my department entitled "Farewell":

Hi everyone,

I am off to ____ to work on a project after this week. I would like to sincerely thank everyone that I have worked with in ______ for this last 5 months. It has been a very rewarding and positive introduction to the strategic environment. I always found everyone to be helpful and considerate and I really felt that our team spirit was very strong despite our divisions into business lines and so forth. I think it was Joey from Friends who once said, "Parting is such sweet sorrow." Let us not dwell on this sadness, but remember that sunny days do not last forever and appreciate them all the more. In fact, isolated showers and late thunder are expected for the next three days due to patchy cloud building across most of NSW along a broad trough.

Thank you again for everything,

Alf

1 comment:

John Gillespie said...

I hope you didn't use Skype for that phone call...