02 January 2007

At The Movies

My favourite movie review is over 50 years old and I don't remember the name of the reviewer because I saw it in a book of humorous quotations in my naturopath's waiting room. It read something like, "This film will be enjoyed by anyone who likes half a bowl of Yardley's Shaving Soap for breakfast." It doesn't get much better than that.


With nothing else to do but the dishes, I decided to ramble about some films that I like. After all, who needs an excuse to avoid the dishes?

The Godfather. Manly manliness. This one is going straight to the pool room. They say that men love this movie. In which case, it must be our obsession with power and control, but it is widely acknowledged that this is one of the greatest romantic comedies ever made. They are planning a remake with Matthew McConaughey soon. "If you had come here as a friend..."

It's A Wonderful Life. Sentimentalis beautifulis. I need to cry. I need to watch this. They really just don't make movies like this anymore. I once made a commitment to watch this every year. The first time I watched it on New Years Eve instead of Christmas Eve by mistake, but then I watched it on Christmas Eve with my family the year after. It may need to rest for a few years now.

Harold and Kumar Go To Whitecastle. Surrealis extremis hilarious. The big question is: "Is it possible to enjoy this movie if you didn't waste the best years of your life in a haze of marijuana smoke?" Experiments have shown the answer to be, "Yes, if you like fart jokes."

Star Wars. The original of course. If there is a universe where the prequels were not made then I am ready to live in it. I remember sitting in the cinema, in an aisle - due to the sheer number of kids in the place - when the words "mito chloridians" hit me like a dagger in the chest.

State and Main. Why do I like this movie so much? Is it the brilliant ensemble cast? The razor sharp script? The tight editing? It could be the perfect satire of the film industry. A great package.

I already devoted a blog to Zoolander. I probably can't bear to watch it again for some time. Still, it's hard to beat lines like: "So I'm repelling down Mount Vesuvius, when suddenly I slip and start to fall. I mean, I 'm about to die. Just falling... I'll never forget the terror. When suddenly I remember, "Holy Shit, Hansel, haven't you been smoking peyote for six straight days? And couldn't some of this be in your mind?" It was! I was totally fine! I've never even been to Mount Vesuvius!"

Yeah, time to do the dishes.

No comments: