31 August 2006

Welcome

Hello

I named this blog after the thousand petalled eye that breathes inside the sky and lives inside the heart of earth.

Am I too generous in releasing this fact?

May you thus surmise I have an inclination towards the spiritual or will you smilingly speculate that I am off my medication?

Nevermind.

That's right. Nevermind. It was Confucius who said, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." For me that single step revealed itself as I wandered down the street recently after a wonderful meditation and my self said, "Who cares about my mind?" This spontaneous admonition did not express itself quite so politely but we have the essence: I knew if I wanted to be happy in this life then it was time to cancel my subscription to the feast of reason.

As it happens, I started this blog upon the encouragement of a friend who noted my capacity for perspicacity. Actually, that could be naked self-flattery. I think he called me a bullish type of artist. As life is for the brave, to which the existence of said friend is testament, here I am.

Now I find myself uncomfortably returning to the number thousand; for it is not often as a general rule that a man starts to read a book with over a thousand pages, and less often still that he manages to finish one I suppose. Except that seeing I knew I was facing over 20 hours in the air and 10 in airport lounges to get from New York to Adelaide, Australia I bought a copy of "THE GREAT WAR FOR CIVILISATION: The Conquest of the Middle East" by Robert Fisk. Such a weighty tome does not allow for distraction so I only managed 100 pages on my trip. A profoundly encompassing work, it is full of names and places that have flitted in and out of my consciousness without finding real lodgings over the last thirty one years of my life. If you do want a serious historical perspective of the situation in the Middle East then this is the book for you. I can say that the personal involvement of the author makes it an engaging story despite my short attention span. It has given me a context for current events and indicates a disturbing cycle of interference by the Western world. Perhaps the hippies were right when they espoused, "If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem." I'll keep you posted on what this book does for me, currently the mainstream media is doing nothing for me.

As I mentioned earlier, I have just returned from the United States. When I arrived in San Fransisco the trek from the plane to customs presented me with a large billboard saying: "Five countries contain the world's oil." I have no idea what it was advertising but i really wanted to use a big black texta and write, "Which one should we invade next?" Such behaviour can lead to delays at immigration so luckily I had no texta. Anyway, your guess is good as mine. It certainly is good to be home. It must be time to move!

I love taking photographs of people. I love taking photographs in Manhattan. There is something about the place which makes the act of shooting less intrusive. It is anathema for me to ask someone to pose for a photo, but I do sometimes ask people if I can take their picture. Michael, who was selling hand made t-shirts on Broadway asked me, "Why?" I told him, "Because you're beautiful." I like his reaction. I didn't speak to the woman, she broke into a grin when she saw me shooting from a distance with my long lens before 99% recovering her studied nonchalance within seconds. I like the 1%.

This is the end of my first post, I hope you like reading it as much as i enjoyed writing it. It has certainly made my jet lag a little more pleasant.

In future I plan to make photography a greater focus of my blog.

Enjoy

Alf

1 comment:

Richard said...

Hi Alf, interesting blog